Thursday, December 31, 2015

Package says a straight line isn't easiest, cheapest, fastest ...

I saw these camo boots online, the Sunday before Christmas, at Academy Sports + Outdoors and I wanted them.  I have been hunting a pair of boots like these for months.
The price was right; reviews were positive; I needed the boots to traipse around the barnyard, in the mud.  I'm not a hunter, but I needed them.
But dang, folks, after I got the shipment notice and tracking number, why were they sent to Memphis, Tennessee.  From Fayetteville?
Heck, I could have driven to Fayetteville and picked them up, if I had known this.
What's the gimmick?


How could shipping this package from Fayetteville, Arkansas, to Valley Springs, Arkansas, take 10 days? Let me describe the box's travels.

Sunday night, December 20, 2015, I ordered a pair of boots, online, from Academy Sports + Outdoors.
I received an e-mail the following day - Monday, December, 2015 - that the boots had been shipped from a Fayetteville store.
That made sense to me, send the order to the store closest to the customer.  That would be the Fayetteville store.
But then any sense of logistics vanished.
Google maps shows the distance between the starting point (Academy Sports + Outdoors in Fayetteville, Arkansas) and ending point (Valley Springs, Arkansas, Post Office) is about 85 miles.


But tracking the package shows it went to FedEx in Lowell, Arkansas, on Monday, December 21, 2015, then overnight it was transported to Kansas City, Missouri, arriving just after midnight. The package then left Kansas City on Tuesday morning, December 22, 2015, and 12 hours later was logged into the FedEx facility in Memphis Tennessee. Later, about midnight, it was registered at FedEx Smartpost in Southhaven, Mississippi.

The package was left at that location through the Christmas holiday, not coming to life until Monday, December 28, 2015.


As you can read, shipping information was sent to the US Postal Service about midnight Monday, December 28, 2015, then the package left Tuesday morning, December 29, 2015, for the US Postal Service back in Fayetteville, Arkansas. The package arrived Wednesday morning, December 30, 2015, at my local post office at Valley Springs, Arkansas.


I picked up the package just before the post office closed for lunch at 11 a.m. Wednesday, December 30, 2015.  The only connection to FedEx on the box is the postage stamp that reads - Parcel Select U.S. Postage Paid SmartPost e-VS.

And here are my new boots, delivered with free shipping.

I would think, in this day when all my online movements are tracked, that a computer whiz at FedEx could determine that it would be cheaper to mail the box from Fayetteville to Valley Springs, rather than truck the package around the four-state area, then mail it from Mississippi to Fayetteville and Valley Springs.
And some of our lawmakers apparently think private business could do a better job of handling the mail than the job that U.S. Postal Service is currently doing.
What are your thoughts?
I sent that question to customer service for Academy Sports + Outdoors on Tuesday. Here's the auto reply: Please allow 24 - 48 hours for a response.
OK, I'm waiting, and Megan burst out laughing.
Dwain
RESPONSE:


CC
Today at 5:59 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment